Friday, March 16, 2012

How I came to write 'Calandra's Spring'.

In the last year or so, I have travelled extensively around various parts of the world, even venturing into the Czech Republic last year.  The greyness of that region intrigued me.  As well, I have had a long interest in Transnistria, the land that nobody wants to acknowledge.  There are people in that part of Europe for whom crime is just a job. Thus, one of the characters in my book was born.  He and his family are into all kinds of dodgy methods of making a few coins.  His greed takes him to new levels. At the root of his progression from small-time crook to the big-time, is his resentment of an event that affected his family.  The little man was trodden into the ground by the powers-that-be and he became power hungry and blasé about the criminal activities of the members of his family who lived through a catastrophic event that he had witnessed as a child. 

Environmental themes interest me too.  I have been involved in a terrific website mygreenaustralia.com and wrote many stories for it. Each was carefully researched and I learned a lot along the way. 

My protagonists?  They have been collected from observations of many people I have met over the years.  Ultimately, they sprang from my imagination.  Read the book and if you want to know more, write to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment